In the past year Covid-19 has drastically changed the way we live and work. Now, as vaccines emerge and we learn to live alongside the virus, businesses are considering the best ways to bring their staff back into the work place safely. Throughout the pandemic One Stop Solutions was the chosen Commercial cleaning contractor in South Wales when it came to assisting with cleaning schedules and responsive cleaning call outs.
One question we frequently get asked…
‘how can you make your building ‘Covid safe?’ Here are a few starting points.
Cleaning the workplace
In office environments where staff are generally working in close proximity of one another, the spread of Covid-19 may feel inevitable. But research shows that regularly cleansing and disinfecting surfaces can reduce the risk of transmission. It’s important to understand that cleansing and disinfecting are different things. Cleansing should take place before disinfecting and is essentially a way to swiftly remove the majority of Covid-19 particles from a surface area.
You may need to increase how often and how thoroughly you normally clean your workplace, as well as cleaning surfaces that you do not normally clean.
Your risk assessment will help you to identify what your cleaning regime will look like, but you should consider these examples:
- keep surfaces clear so that cleaning can be carried out more effectively
- clean areas regularly in line with your cleaning regime
- set clear guidance for the use and cleaning of toilets, showers and changing facilities to make sure they are kept clean
- clean work areas and equipment between uses
- frequently clean and disinfect objects and surfaces that are touched regularly
- if equipment like tools or vehicles are shared, then clean them after each use
Identify frequently touched surfaces
Doors, bannisters, buttons and anything that is frequently touched, especially if it’s touched by lots of people, may need more regular cleaning than normal. Examples of frequently touched objects include:
- work surfaces like desks, platforms and workstations
- handles on doors, windows, rails, dispensers and water coolers
- common areas like toilets, reception, changing rooms, corridors and lifts
- vehicle handles, steering wheels, seat belts and internal surfaces
- control panels for machinery, control pads and switches
- computer keyboards, printers, touch screens, monitors and phones
- taps, kettles, water heaters, fridges, microwaves and cupboards
- shared equipment like tools, machines, vehicles, pallet trucks and delivery boxes
- post and goods coming in or being shipped out
Consider putting in place measures to clean surfaces and objects after each use, for example phones and conferencing facilities in a meeting room. If it’s not practical to clean after each use, such as lift buttons that are used continuously throughout the day, make sure they are cleaned often.
Cleaning regimes could involve deep and periodic cleaning.
Deep cleaning is a thorough clean of all frequently touched surfaces at least once a day.
Periodic cleaning is cleaning at different times throughout the day. It can include cleaning items immediately after use as well as cleaning surfaces on a regular basis throughout a single day.
In addition to these practices One Stop Solutions has invested in the Storm Ballistic virus mister to target those hot-spots in the work place and guarantee the levels of protection you require.
Workstations can be cleared at the end of the day or shift to make cleaning easier. Clean workstations in accordance with your cleaning regime.
Employers have a duty to reduce workplace risk to the lowest reasonably practicable level by taking preventative measures. Employers must work with any other employers or contractors sharing the workplace so that everybody’s health and safety is protected. In the context of COVID-19 this means protecting the health and safety of your workers and clients.
Here at One Stop Solutions we determine what cleaning regime is suitable for your business. We offer a Covid-19 risk assessment to all clients to manage the risk going forward.
For more information on what we offer reach out to us directly on [email protected]